Friday, May 4, 2012

Writing

I found a way to help my son with writing his letters. It was taught to me in one of my classes when i was a day school teacher.  Its been very helpful and its pretty simple.

The alphabet is made of of these simple symbols.











 The symbols can be rearranged to look like so




Also I combined some symbols to make it a bit easier for Ry
Bought him this book to help.

I first started by dotting them out for him. I did them all big.





Then eventually the dotted symbols became less and less and  I would write the symbol on one side of the page and he would copy it on his own for the rest of the lines. 

Once I was confident that he could do the symbols on his own, i began to put them in letter form.

He still has some trouble with curves, so on easy letters, like H and K I'll do a couple lines of the letter and then add some curved symbols to give him practice.

This is the letter g. He is doings go great with them. =)



Here are some examples of how the symbols make up letters.


 I also got a whiteboard and dry erase marker so that if he had trouble he could practice with out any lines and just get the basic shape. I have a dry erase board for myself so he copies my movements step by step. =) hope this helps. If you have any questions please ask.

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat! Never looked at letters in that way before! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...looks so simple!!...had never seen this before will try with Matthew-Isaiah after summer vacation. Thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loha, I think I was your first grade teacher on Pohnpei. I am also homeschooling my children. So much fun! Are you on Facebook? ~Heather Stuyvesant Page

    ReplyDelete